Monday 17 November 2014

In Design: Swiss-Style

In Design: Swiss-Style


In today's lesson we started our first ever task on Adobe In Design. For Digital Publishing we had only ever used Adobe Photoshop up until this point. It's slightly different to Photoshop, but it has the same concept. 

Because it was our first time using In Design, we followed our Lecturer. I had very, very little knowledge in using this programme before, we had used it several times in another lesson all together but it was still all new to me. I have, however, had a fair amount of experience in Photoshop, because of this I managed to pick up In Design reasonably quickly. 

I unfortunately only have screenshots of our Swiss-Style poster from towards the end of the process. Below is my earliest image. 


As you can see here, quite a lot has been done at this stage. At the start is was simply 4 columns on a white background. But I built up the poster in 4 different layers. (Background, Body Text, Images and Title) 
Here I am finalising all of the text, ensuring it is all white and correctly aligned. 

After this process was complete, we started to make it more Swiss-Style. To do this we wanted to rotate everything so it was roughly 35-45 degrees. 


This is the final result, everything has been rotated to 35 degrees. It took a little more effort than just rotating tough. I had to adjust something known as an anchor point. This is basically where you are able to change the shape of the text box to fit on the actual page.

Just imagine all of the text being rotated degrees without adjusting the rectangular box that it is in, all of the text would overhang. So adjusting the anchor points changes this so you maintain that 35 degree angle, whilst still containing all of you text. 


I then went on to design my own poster based on everything we had just learned, here it is:


So, what have I learnt?

Based on the fact that I have never used In Design for text/posters before and only shapes, I would say that everything I did in that lesson was new to me. So I learnt how to add 'fake' text which is letters joined together to make it look like words (I believe it is also based off Latin too, but it isn't Latin). I also learnt how to rotate items/object as well as organising new layers for each item. Another useful thing I learnt was how to change the colour of objects/text.

No comments:

Post a Comment